On 9 September 2019, at the headquarters of Viale Romania, 32 (Room 200), the presentation of the research activities of ALETHEIA (ἀλήθεια) will take place, the research laboratory of the Luiss Data Lab, founded to promote research and exchange of knowledge on issues related to information, professional correctness, the fight against misinformation and compulsory polarization in the media, on and offline. The event will be attended by social scientists, data scientists, fact-checkers, journalists and thematic experts who will discuss issues related to disinformation. ALETHEIA, under the direction of Gianni Riotta, promotes multidisciplinary, experimental research that combines the classic analysis of social and political fiction with the new cognitive tools, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Blockchain. ALETHEIA also works on contrasting the distortions inflicted on the information system, on social media and traditional media, from the so-called "fake news" to the artificial polarizations of the communities, which in addition to disruption on quality media induce harmful effects for contemporary societies from the reduction of trust in institutions, public or private, in the authority of science, thus negatively corrupting decisions and opinions of citizens. To create a new quality benchmark, ALETHEIA promotes research and debate among researchers, journalists, fact-checkers, computer scientists, philosophers, scientists and every other expert in the sector to allow a rapid and cogent dialogue on the issues of technological impact on disinformation. ALETHEIA believes in a set of values and methodologies:
- exchange and comparison of techniques, research and analysis among operators;
- access to tools and tools for checking online content without pernicious barriers;
- the creation of an international network of experts working on these issues;
- training, from school-age children to the elderly, those most exposed to fake news, on media literacy, quality journalism, trust and governance;
- the organization of events, seminars, hackathons, conferences on disinformation, fact checking, equanimity and quality in the media;
- the deepening of specific themes on health, climate, and literacy, to form a public opinion in which the critical spirit is not dampened by the new media;
- collaboration with the European observatory on disinformation SOMA (Social Observatory for Disinformation and Social Media Analysis) and with the northern European network EU REMID.